What should parents know and do to prevent their child from getting head lice? Here are five important tips:
• Teach your child to avoid head-to-head contact. No sharing of brushes, combs, hats, hair accessories, scarves or towels.
• Keep your child’s hair as close to the head as possible in either a ponytail, braid or bun. Using hairsprays or gels also makes it harder for lice to infest.
• Spray your child’s hair daily with a natural lice repellent. These products are designed specifically to repel lice with scents such as mint.
• Perform a weekly head check for lice and nits (eggs).
• Each child should have their own helmet for sporting activities.